So, today is my 30th birthday. I thought it would be cool to compile twenty things I’ve learned during my twenties. Here goes.
1. A change of direction when you’re going the wrong way is very beneficial and a heck of a lot better than being or feeling lost.
2. Loving the person you are is okay.
3. Loving the people you love is okay, too.
4. Good friends are about as indispensable as blood relatives.
5. Sometimes the people you love the most, hurt you the worst. It’s not always on purpose. Most of the time they’re loving you in a way they think is best.
6. Speaking up and telling people how you feel is necessary. It may not always work out for the best, but you feel so much better once it’s out.
7. Acknowledging your evil tendencies is the best way to keep them from overpowering you.
8. It’s wonderful to laugh often, loud, and hard. The alternative is crying which isn’t as fun.
9. Sex is fun with or without a relationship.
10. Writing can be both cathartic and a pain, but mostly cathartic.
11. Personal change doesn’t happen unless you’re fully on board.
12. Past lovers can be the best friends and the worst enemies.
13. You can dance all night, but you’ll pay for it the next morning.
14. Being drunk is a vastly different experience every time.
15. You’ll never know how much you’ll miss a loved one until they’re gone.
16. You have to pick you battles carefully.
17. You have to forgive and be forgiven.
18. Practice is the only way to get semi-good at driving a car in reverse. Well, I guess this goes for anything.
19. Being patient can be very hard at times.
20. The places you find love are the places you call home.
Well, so long twenties. It’s been fun. We’ve had some good times and some not so good times, but please believe I wouldn’t trade you for anything in this world.